WOULD I BE INTERESTED IN MILITARY TRAINING?
- It is advised that any student interested seek and gather information from military representatives who make periodic visits to our high school, look online or visit these academies (LINKS TO VARIOUS RELATED SITES BELOW).
- ROTC: Check Career Center for booklet listing colleges that have ROTC programs and follow instructions for applications.
ANSWERS TO FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
- Application to a military academy must begin in the junior year.
- These schools have as their prime goal the training of young men and women to become career officers in a branch of the armed services of our country.
- They issue a Bachelor’s Degree, as well as an Officer’s Commission, upon completion. The United States Military Academy at West Point, New York, trains future officers for various branches of the Army. The United States Naval Academy at Annapolis, Maryland, performs this function for young men and women who want to become Navy or Marine officers. The United States Air Force Academy at Colorado Springs, Colorado, is the training site for future Air Force officers. The Merchant Marine Academy at Kings Point, New York, furnishes officers for the United States Merchant Marine fleet. Graduates of Kings Point also receive a commission in the United States Navy. Future officers in the United States Coast Guard train at the Academy located in New London, Connecticut.
- Admission to each of these colleges is highly competitive and the screening process is most thorough. Students who think they may be interested in a career in one of the services should begin the application process early in the 11th grade, since acceptance depends upon Congressional appointment and competitive examinations.
- It is imperative that prospective candidates begin the process by reading the catalogs of the service academies, following strictly the application procedures outlined in these catalogs and consulting frequently with their counselor. Students should go online for information and applications, etc.
There are many excellent educational opportunities offered by the different branches of the military. For more information regarding these opportunities click the links below.